Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Reflect, Discuss, Refine, then Repeat...

If we are not happy with the results of our medical schools now, in other words if we believe we are failing to meet our mandate of social accountability, then why would we think that tinkering with the institution would result in any meaningful change? Let's jump whole hog and kill "education" and let "learning" begin. (YouTube, thanks Barb)

But, there are times when I have to question my vision of creating, or retooling, a medical school so that learning takes place in different locations, with less of an institutional focus, taught by different individuals, and ultimately with different outcomes. After our discussions today I wonder if my idea, or the way I am pursuing it, is truly scholarly. From my perspective (with apologies for the medical metaphor) it appears that I am stitching the flesh together while others are contemplating what makes up the healing process or considering the best way to close the wound. Perhaps I have jumped to an idea without substantiating its theoretical foundations, without considering the literature or experience of others.

How does one search the literature when there are no examples created? How do we draw from others in order to develop a pilot that has some theoretical or practical basis? Is it even ethical to consider this activity when we are dealing with learners, their families and their careers?

I certainly have passion about this. But, now I am wondering if passion is just the beginning and that I have prematurely jumped to a potential solution without significant reflection and thought. It seems that I have already set an end point without consideration of what to study. Should this be a consideration of how this specific intervention affects learning or should it be a review of what the best way to deliver the learning module to meet our social mandate might be.

The opportunity for me through our discussions has to become aware of the need for reflection and thoughtful consideration of feedback.

"In the realm of ideas, everything depends on enthusiasm. In the real world all rests on perseverance."
-Goethe

No comments:

Post a Comment